Voluntary Political Action Committee (V-CAP)

From trade policy to health care, education to retirement security, taxes to roads and highways, politics affects our daily lives.

That’s why it’s essential for working families to make our voices heard in local, state and national politics.  And one of the most effective ways to do that is by contributing to our union’s voluntary political action committee—UAW  V-CAP

Our contributions to UAW V-CAP are used to support the campaigns of pro-working family candidates who have earned the endorsement of the UAW Community Action Program (UAW CAP).

Why Should I Support Labor-Endorsed Candidates?

For what political offices does the local endorse candidates?

Locals generally work through the UAW Community Action Program structure to endorse candidates for any elected office.  They work in city, county, area or state CAP councils and are involved in the endorsement of statewide or local officials, U.S. representatives, and U.S. senators.

How does the union decide which candidate will be endorsed?

In order to evaluate a candidate, unions generally conduct a screening process of each candidate.  For incumbents, unions consider his or her voting record on labor and related issues.  For non-incumbents, unions consider the candidate’s position statement and support for labor and related issues, such as social legislation, education, etc.

Why support labor-endorsed candidates as opposed to other candidates?

Sometimes workers make their selections based solely upon a candidate’s position on single “hot button” non-labor issues.  That candidate, however, will vote on many more issues than just that one.  Be careful!


Always remember that both checkoff authorization and the amount to be deducted are purely voluntary.  No UAW member can or should be compelled to contribute to the UAW V-CAP fund. A member can cancel his or her authorization by written request at any time.

NOTE:  UAW V-CAP is an independent political committee created by the UAW.  This committee does not ask for or accept authorization from any candidate, and no candidate is responsible for its activities.  UAW V-CAP uses the money it receives to make political contributions and expenditures in connection with federal, state and local elections.  Contributions to UAW V-CAP are purely voluntary, and are without fear of reprisal.  All UAW members may be eligible for V-CAP raffle drawings, regardless of whether they make a contribution to UAW V-CAP.  Monies contributed to UAW V-CAP constitute a voluntary contribution to a joint fund-raising effort by the UAW and AFL-CIO.

Questions About V-CAP

Q.  Why do we need UAW V-CAP?  I thought the UAW used dues money for campaign contributions.

A.  That’s a common mistake.  The fact is that federal and many state election laws prohibit unions from contributing members’ dues money to political candidates.  The only money that can be used for contributions to candidates is money that members voluntarily contribute to our political action fund, UAW V-CAP.

Q.  How does UAW CAP decide which candidates to support?

A.  Typically, candidates are interviewed by a screening committee of CAP activists.  The screening committee makes its recommendations based on its evaluation of the candidates’ voting records and/or positions on trade, education, Medicare, pension security, striker replacement, workers’ compensation, unemployment insurance, and other issues that directly affect UAW members and our families.

Q.  How much can UAW V-CAP give to a candidate?

A.  The maximum amount any PAC can contribute to a candidate for federal office is $5,000 for the general election.  Amounts to state candidates vary according to state laws.

Q.  How much should I contribute to UAW V-CAP?

A.  That’s entirely up to you.  Most contributors to UAW V-CAP give from $1 to $5 each month.  Of course you can choose to contribute more or less, depending on your circumstances. 

Q.  How do I contribute to UAW V-CAP?

A.  Some NOLSW units have negotiated a checkoff provision in their contract.  To participate in checkoff, simply complete and sign a V-CAP authorization/checkoff card. The card authorizes your employer to deduct the amount of money that you specify from your pay-check, and your contribution is automatically sent to UAW V-CAP.

If your unit does not have a V-CAP check-off provision and you would like to contribute to V-CAP, please contact your Regional Organizer.

PDF icon V-CAP_Checkoff_Card.pdf